At Whaley Children’s Center, volunteerism means helping, healing, growing, laughing, caring, being organized, being committed and being YOU! What you can provide for our children is only limited by your imagination. We welcome all types of talent to our organization and need help from everyone—meticulous organizers, board game gurus, friendly and smiling faces, brawn and brains! Individuals, as well as corporate, religious, and educational groups are more than welcome to come in and volunteer. Check out our volunteer opportunities for our ever changing and ever growing options!
You can learn more about volunteering at Whaley by viewing our informational brochure.
For more information or to sign up to become a volunteer, please contact Ashleigh Sanders at 810.600.0110 or ASanders@WhaleyChildren.org.
- Front Desk & Clerical Associate: Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (must be 18 years+)
Description: Welcome visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answer or refer inquiries, data entry, mailings, copying, filing, etc.
- Tutors: After school (4-7 p.m.), on the weekends or during the summer
Description: Help the children with their homework or studies and teach the children new skills, hobbies or studies.
- Recreation Leaders: After school (4-7 p.m.), on the weekends or during the summer
Description: Supervise and interact with the children during physical activities such as sports and recreational games either at our on-campus gym, on our grounds or at another facility/park.
- Gardeners & Groundskeepers: Seasonal / dependent on weather
Description: Tend to the garden, plant seeds, pull weeds, water the flowers & vegetables, pick the garden, and teach the kids how to sustain the garden. Groundskeepers would cut and trim lawn at the four group homes using their own mower and trimming equipment.
- Painters: Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and evenings & weekends by appointment
Description: Add some fun color to our Center through the painting of the children’s cottages or group home bedrooms, common areas in building and outside of the building.
- Technology Gurus: Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and evenings & weekends by appointment
Description: Assist in IT or technical issues.
- Holiday Help: Seasonal
Description: Wrap holiday gifts for the children (especially around the winter holidays), secure costumes/candy/gifts, decorate the Whaley Buildings in the appropriate holiday décor using what Whaley provides or items your group may secure.
- Project Joy: The committee meets during scheduled dates and times throughout the year.
Description: Through this project, we beautify all aspects of our Center—primarily the children’s bedrooms. If you’re interested in decorating, painting and making Whaley Children’s Center more of a home for the 48 children who live with us, this project is for you!
- Program Volunteers: Monday through Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and evenings & weekends by appointment
Description: Our full-time staff need assistance implementing many of the programs implemented to teach our children life skills and help them to feel the safety and love every child deserves. Choose one of the following programs to get involved with. For example, FitKids teaches our children the benefits of physical activity and balanced and nutritious eating. Our instructors help our children build healthy habits for a successful life. So, if you have any skills including in any sport, dance, yoga, etc., we need you!
- Special Event Volunteers for the World’s Greatest Office Party, Tux and Tennies Gala & the Whaley Golf Classic
Description: The volunteer opportunities are endless in regard to special events. Prior to the event you can join the planning committee, secure items for the live and silent auctions and wrap silent auction packages. Many opportunities are also offered the day of the event such as:
- Hosts & Hostesses
- Silent Auction Monitors
- Live Auction Assistants & Spotters
- Registration, check-in & coat check
- Raffle ticket and profit center sales
- Event set up & tear down
We love volunteers who are kind, dependable, caring, professional and dedicated. We ask all volunteers to be at least 18 years of age or accompanied by an adult when volunteering. Volunteers may be asked to complete a criminal background check, drug test, TB test and/or provide a copy of a driving record depending on the type of volunteer activity and/or the level of interaction with the children.
What are the benefits of volunteering at Whaley Children’s Center?
- Enriching our children with knowledge and skills while giving them the tools to empower them to have a brighter, more successful future
- Volunteering allows the Center to allocate more funds towards programs and services our children need. Did you know that one hour of volunteerism equals $22.14 in contribution to our organization?
- Gaining new skills and adding experience to your resume
- Building relationships with new friends and professional contacts
- Showcasing your well-roundedness as an individual, serving as a display of your values and demonstrating time management skills.
We love our volunteers!
Every summer we hold a Volunteer Appreciation Picnic to thank all of the wonderful hearts and souls that have given their precious time to our precious children! All communty members are involved, and awards are given to some very special volunteers including our Volunteer of the Year! If it wasn’t for our volunteers, we wouldn’t be able to transform lives and create futures!. Check out our Facebook page to view the photos from the 2013 picnic and the 2014 picnic.